What is coaching?
Coaching is all about partnering with you in a thought-provoking and creative process to inspire you to maximise your personal and professional potential. We focus on areas of your life and work where you'd like to improve or get a different result.
A typical coaching conversation between you and your coach and focuses specifically on your outcomes and helping you discover the answers for yourself. After all, we're more likely to engage with solutions that we've come up with ourselves rather than those that are forced upon us - right?!
What's the difference between coaching and mentoring?
A mentor tends to be someone with experience in your field, who shares that experience with you and advises you on decisions towards a future, similar to the path taken by the mentor. The key difference between mentoring and coaching is that a mentor will offer advice as they've 'been there done that', whereas the coach will support you in your own journey of self-discovery. In an organisational setting, a mentor is usually someone who will bring their 'mentee' up through the ranks on their career path.
A coach is skilled at observing patterns and facilitating change through effective questions and works alongside you to support you in implementing new behaviours to achieve your desired outcome.
Remember - your coach is the subject matter expert at coaching, not the subject matter expert for your specific coaching topic. The coach will help you keep a future-oriented focus and will work with you to help you get there.
"Life is a series of small decisions. A big change is often many little changes saved up for the right moment.
Each decision we make either keeps us on the same comfortable track or takes us towards what we truly want. Coaching helps us to decide."
- Joseph O'Connor
Why use coaching?
- Develop your sense of perspective
- Engage your own personal accountability partner
- Challenge yourself with intentional thought, action and behavior changes in a way that you wouldn't usually ask of yourself
- Identify gaps between where you are and where you want to be
- Support you in planning your roadmap to success
- Help you clarify your thinking around a problem or concern
- Support you to achieve your outcomes in any area of your life
- Develop a clear future path so you can get out of your own way
- Resolve a long-standing issue
- Develop new skills so that you respond differently in certain situations
- Obtain confidential, honest, objective feedback
- Get yourself inspired & motivated with a fresh perspective
- Create a confidential, supportive and safe space to ‘let off steam’ without damaging your relationships
- Find your confidence, energy and vitality and feel happier
- Build your personal brand
- Have your own personal cheerleader!
Elite athletes and business executives hire coaches to help them enhance their performance in decision making, management, interpersonal effectiveness or on-field performance.
How do I start?
Call or email us and make a time. Our first meeting involves a FREE, no-obligation compatibility check.
I believe that to develop a successful coaching relationship you need to know who you're partnering with, and have trust and confidence that I have the right match of skill expertise to support you in getting what you want.
The first hour allows us an opportunity to get to know one another. You get to interview your me and I get to discover what you want to achieve from your coaching investment.
If, after the initial meeting you're not comfortable, or I'm not the right match for you, there's no obligation and no charge. And, if I don't think I can help you get the results you want, I'll refer you to someone who can.
What happens when I book a session?
Once you engage me as your coach, we make an appointment date and time and a place to meet up, either in person, or on the phone or an online platform. You'll receive a confirmation letter and terms which is a way for me to ensure that you know what my obligations are to you in the coaching partnership.
It is up to you to come prepared for each coaching session. You'll be asked what your outcome is so that we have a clear focus for each meeting.
Coaching meetings can be arranged at weekly, fortnightly or monthly intervals to accommodate your requirements.
You have the option of either paying cash at your appointment or paying on invoice within 7 days of the session.
Professional supervision is a collegial, collaborative and supportive environment designed to enhance your process to build your own best practice within your occupation. Barbara’s intention when supervising is to develop the practitioners’ competence, capability and capacity to become a reflective practitioner of their own work.
Supervision is designed to:
- Provide a safe psychological space where you can share and reflect fully in complete confidence;
- Create a learning environment to uncover issues and sharpen your own practice;
- Explore your potential and possibilities;
- Explore your actual and potential blind spots.
If you'd like to enquire about booking a Supervision session with Barbara you can send an email here.